Title I and ESSA: What are your questions?

By Laura Shtaida, Government Affairs & Policy Analyst

An Ever-Changing Landscape

If I’ve learned anything in life, it is that change is constant. Even more so, trying to stay up-to-date on the change can be overwhelming and nearly impossible. In education, recent and imminent changes are attributed to the passage of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) of 2015. Broadly, the act continues to hold schools accountable for student progress; however, states were granted more flexibility around testing and targeting funds. The co-authors of ESSA, Senators Lamar Alexander and Patty Murray, had the goal of providing more opportunities for states and districts to use their federal dollars to best meet their students’ needs.

“The co-authors of ESSA, Senators Lamar Alexander and Patty Murray, had the goal of providing more opportunities for states and districts to use their federal dollars to best meet their students’ needs.”

Since December 10, 2015, when President Obama signed ESSA, specific actions have been taken to support state and district educational leaders in making sense of the changes to federal funding sources such as Title I. As we near the 2017–2018 school year and full implementation of ESSA, many details have yet to be finalized; however, two corresponding actions are occurring that will influence how districts will be able to target their Title I funds: (1.) U.S. Department of Education Guidance and (2.) state plan development.

Developing Guidelines

The U.S. Department of Education continues to develop guidelines on a wide range of topics from school improvement to the Student Support and Academic Enrichment Grant Program to support how federal funds such as Title I will be spent. In addition, ESSA requires that states develop state-specific goals for student achievement and their plans for achieving these goals with input from stakeholders.

“In addition, ESSA requires that states develop state-specific goals for student achievement and their plans for achieving these goals with input from stakeholders.”

In my role as a policy analyst, all the actions being taken by the U.S. Department of Education and the states spark countless questions. What does all this mean for Title I funding? How are the supplement-not-supplant regulations changing? Will new opportunities be available to meet students’ needs? If so, what new opportunities will be available? Do the requirements for school-wide and targeted programs change?

We want to hear your questions!

What questions do you have? This is your chance to ask a Title I Coordinator. Please join me; Diana Pena, Title I Coordinator for El Paso ISD (Texas); Jan Bryan, National Education Officer at Renaissance; and Jennifer Grimes, Senior Governmental Affairs and Policy Analyst at Renaissance on November 15 for a free, live webinar – Title I and ESSA: Answers to Your Questions on Coming Changes.

In the meantime, I would love to hear from you in the comments below, or you can send your questions to me at webinars@renaissance.com or tweet @RenLearnUS and use #TitleITalk. I am looking forward to hearing from you and providing answers to your questions on November 15.

Laura Shtaida, Government Affairs & Policy Analyst

Laura Shtaida fostered her interest in public policy by studying political science at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In 2008, she joined Renaissance where she monitors education policy in all 50 states as a Governmental Affairs and Policy Analyst.

Laura Shtaida, Government Affairs & Policy Analyst
Laura Shtaida, Government Affairs & Policy Analyst

What does ESSA say about RTI?

Are there going to be changes under the new presidency with ESSA?

3. Braley Speagle says:

What major changes will I see in my schools’ instructional and personnel financing? What new restrictions are in place under the new legislation?

4. I would like to know more about this and I wonder how President Elect Trump feels about ESSA.

I know the Title One teacher at my school does not care for the upcoming changes. I was wondering how are other Title One Teachers feeling towards these new changes?

How will ESSA be connected to RTI and Common Core?
    Will there be changes to TITLE 1 mandates and funding?

Will there be more changes taking place because of our new president?

I may regret asking, but I am curious what Mr. Trump has to say about ESSA. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that I doubt ESSA is something he has ever explored. The buzz from so many is to bash Common Core, as Mr. Trump did . Lacking were any details on what he thinks is a better solution, other than ‘leave it up to the states.’ I’m curious what ESSA and RTI will look like under our new president, and how Common Core fits in.

With a new president how much of this is going to change? Will states opt out? Is there a requirement for per pupil spending?

10. Dalina says:

With a new president, and new cabinet members, how will this effect the process that has started?

11. Jen says:

I was wondering how this will effect me as a classroom teacher.

12. JC says:

Will ESSA changes involve the Media Center and the role a school library plays in a student’s education?

13. Laura Shtaida, Government Affairs & Policy Analyst Laura Shtaida, Government Affairs & Policy Analyst says:

Thank you for the great questions, everyone!

14. D Maza says:

How does this affect schools that are not Title 1? Who governs and determines the rigor for each state?

15. Narda Lugo says:

My question is how is ESSA really going to affect us librarians?

16. Emily Carlisi says:

Looking forward to seeing changes under the new administration!! Maybe there will be less waste if the states are in charge!!

How does the president elect feel about Title One and ESSA and what changes will directly effect the elementary classroom?

18. Roxann Hauser says:

I wonder if the requirements of being a Title I school will change.

19. Anne says:

Do you think the changes will positively impact students growth and achievement?